Saturday, May 24, 2008

One stitch at a time

I've only been knitting for about 3-4 years now. It was my maternal grandmother who taught me when she visited one summer from Portugal. She would spend most of her evenings either knitting or embroidering. I just loved sitting there watching her do this without even having to concentrate on the task. It just came to her naturally.

I think I'm getting to that point now. Sometimes when watching television, I can sit there and knit without really focusing on the work. Almost like I don't have any control over my hands, they simply do as they please ;)

As much as I love knitting, I had been neglecting this hobby lately. So the other night, I decided I would find myself a new project on the web. I was able to find this adorable vintage shawl pattern on www.freevintageknitting.com . It was a slightly more challenging pattern since this one uses three needles, and well I've only ever worked with two. To my surprise though, it's been pretty easy to follow. The name of this pattern, if your interested, is Crescendo. It can be downloaded in pdf format from the above mentioned website.


I also thought, that some of you may not have a grandmother to teach you how to get started in knitting. There are many sources on the internet to help you learn, but most of them are hard to follow honestly. The best one, and it is easy to follow, is cyberseams on YouTube. The link to their videos is here http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?s=fK2ApAyTrnA
They teach the basics of knitting, but also offer a few more complex stitches. They are great really and definitely worth a look.

Anyways, I'll leave you with a picture of how it's looking so far:

1 comments:

Kylie Bowers said...

Oh wow looking nice can't wait to see how it turns out :)