Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ovos moles

I haven't mentioned this before, but I am of Portuguese heritage. I'm very proud of the culture, it's extremely fascinating and rich. One of my favorite aspects of it, is the Portuguese cooking. Call me biased, but I think it's the best cooking in the world ;)

I thought it would be fitting to start sharing a little bit of this part of my life. Since I was young, my mother always took the time to teach me these different recipes. I'm glad she did, and still does, because this way family traditions are kept.

One of my favorite recipes she thought me is called "Ovos moles", which translated means "soft eggs". It's a delicious dessert, sort of like a pudding or custard. It is extremely easy to make and it uses very few ingredients. See I'm always thinking of saving you money! haha...

Here is the recipe. If you decide to try it out, let me know how it turned out!

Ovos Moles

- 2 eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- 0.5 kg of sugar
- little over 1/3 cup water

In a small saucepan, mix water and sugar together and let cook in low-medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl, beat your 2 eggs and 10 egg yolks together until they start to thicken. It should be a light yellow color.
When done with yolks, simply pour them in the saucepan where you have your sugar and cook in low heat, stirring constantly. Stir for a few minutes until your mixture thickens a bit more. Make sure it's on low heat, as we do not want this to boil! Once done, let cool down and once again it should thicken.

This recipe should serve around 4-5 people. You can serve in small cups and sprinkle some brown sugar or cinnamon over it. Enjoy!

1 comments:

T.Allen said...

Wow sounds good. My dad was Portuguese, never took the time to pass on *any* cultural tid-bits. It looks like a pudding/custard/ flan type dish, yes? I may try it out for the husband-I'm more of a cookie/cupcake girl. Thanks.